Essay Writing Contest in Honor of Lily Thomas, Supreme Court Lawyer and PIL Pioneer
Lily Thomas and Saju Jakob Law Firms are again organizing an Essay Writing Competition this year on the theme: “Scope and Extent of Liability/Liability of a Public Officer, in India, for Breach of exercise of his public functions or to the protection of fundamental rights in the exercise of his public functions”. The competition is part of the second edition of the Memorial Lecture Series in memory of Lily Thomas, who was one of the first female lawyers in India and died in December 2019. The Supreme Court Advocate is known as India’s first female PIL lawyer. Lawyer Saju Jakob is now carrying on her legacy.
The essay writing contest is open to law students, lawyers, legal professionals, journalists, academics, and people from other related fields. The winner will receive Rs 10,000 along with a certificate of appreciation. The first runner-up will receive Rs 5,000 along with a certificate of appreciation. The second runner-up will receive Rs 3,000 along with a certificate of appreciation. The next seven participants will each receive Rs 1,000 and a certificate of appreciation. The articles of the three best candidates will be published on the official website of Lily Thomas and Saju Jakob.
The top three entrants will also have the opportunity to present their papers at the commemorative conference. Attendees of the December 12, 2021 Memorial Conference will receive a certificate of attendance.
Read also : Pending MP-MLA Cases: Supreme Court Reschedules Hearing to Nov. 24, Appeals to Center, Requests Closing of 2016 Plea
- The word limit for each essay: 1,600 to 1,800 words (excluding footnotes and abstract).
- No co-writing is allowed.
- Multiple entries for the same authors are not allowed.
- Individual attachments: name; contact details; current academic status (if applicable); year, university/college, etc. committing to guarantee originality.
- Citation style: 19th edition of the Bluebook.
- The font should be Times New Roman, font size 12 and line spacing 1.5.
- Interested applicants should send their papers with abstracts by November 30, 2021 with the subject “Lawyers as Inventors”.
- Essays should be emailed to the office at [email protected]
- Participants must send their personal data/contact details. Any late submission will not be considered.
- The results will be announced on December 12, 2021 at the Memorial Conference, details of which will be posted online later/soon.
- For any other questions, write to [email protected] or contact at 9667661678.
- Registration for the competition is free and open to all.