IDIA, National Essay Writing Competition
The National Essay Writing Competition is the flagship annual initiative of the IDIA UP Chapter. Through the event, we aim to promote the art of legal research and writing, while contributing to a social cause. After the enormous success of the first two editions, here we are again with our III Edition. In collaboration with The Contemporary Law Forum, this edition will be bigger and better than ever!
Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access to Legal Education, commonly abbreviated as IDIA, is a non-profit organization working in India, which was founded by the late Professor (Dr) Shamnad Basheer. It aims to empower disadvantaged children by giving them access to quality legal education. It is a student-led movement to educate disadvantaged students and help them grow into leading advocates and community advocates. To learn more about IDIA, click here or to visit our LinkedIn profile, click here.
The Contemporary Law Forum is a student-run and professionally supported blog created with the primary purpose of promoting and publishing quality legal research on contemporary legal issues. TCLF further aims to act as a forum for discussion among multiple stakeholders in the legal industry through legal research and writing. With guaranteed reach across the diverse spectrum of the industry, the forum is a great place for the writing community to post their thoughts on topical legal issues.
You can find out more about TCLF by clicking here or by visiting their social media accounts on LinkedIn and Facebook.
THEME AND SUB-THEMES
Theme: “Intersection of environment and law: analyzing the evolution of the legal regime”
1. Legal issues surrounding the management of biomedical waste during Covid-19
2. Advancing environmental justice for marginalized communities
3. Corporate capitalism: exploring the contours of ESG
4. Environmental impact assessments and public participation for climate sensitive projects
5. Climate change, human rights and the arbitrariness of emission restrictions
REMARK: The sub-themes mentioned above are not exhaustive in nature and any submission that relates to the general theme will be considered for the Competition.
– The 3 best applications selected during the Competition will be published on the TCLF Blog.
– Internship opportunity at Lawyers & Lawyers PSL, New Delhi and the Chambers of Mr. Talha Abdul Rahman, (Attorney registered at the Supreme Court of India), for the first two entries.
– Certificate of merit by the IDIA UP chapter for the 10 best entries.
– All other participants will receive a certification of participation by the IDIA UP chapter.
The competition is open to law students from across the country.
SUBMISSION AND REGISTRATION
– The co-creation of up to two authors is allowed.
– Authors should limit their submissions to between 1800 and 2000 words (excluding endnotes). However, if an article is of high contemporary relevance with very new analysis, it may be considered for the competition at the discretion of the editorial board, even if it exceeds the word count.
– The essay must be submitted in .doc / .docx format to [emailÂ protected]. The deadline for submission is January 2, 2022. The results of the Competition will be announced on 20e January 2022.
Participants are required to enter the competition using the following links-
For IDIA fellows: bit.ly/ScholarReg
For all other participants: bit.ly/IDIAReg
The minimum contribution for registration will be Rs. 80 for sole author and Rs. 100 in case of co-author.
REMARK: IDIA fellows are not required pay a registration fee to participate in the competition
UPI ID- [emailÂ protected]
Name of the account holder – Uday Pratap Maurya
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the contact numbers mentioned below:
1. Vidushi: +91 70051 54507
2. Srishti: +91 94536 50809
Or send an email to [emailÂ protected]
The document containing the sub-topics of the competition as well as the detailed submission guidelines can be accessed at: bit.ly/BrochureTCLF