Ten essential steps to write a research paper
For many students, writing an essay is a challenge that scares them. However, they must overcome this fear since any degree program involves at least one research paper in each discipline. This article is a step-by-step guide from start of writing to finish. It will help hobbyists to orient and craft a paper correctly and to claim high marks.
10 steps to writing an assignment
The Writing Process Template will help you write a research paper effectively. Proceed as follows:
- Determine the purpose of the assignment. Understanding what your research advisor intends to verify in the document is essential. Many students skip this step, filling the context with non-essential information to match the word count requirement and get low marks afterward. Students may collapse with different homework, for example, various types of essays, research, bibliography, etc. These all have specific characteristics. Following the directions is crucial when you want to write an essay. If you are writing more than one at a time, highlight the most vital requirements of each so that the tasks are not mixed up.
- Pick the right topic. Having a clear picture of what to write is the next step in the writing process. To do this, choose the subject that inspires you. This will make the research process exciting. At the same time, verify the information that you will represent in your assignment. If absent, choose a better topic with general evidence and conclusions. Estimate its level of complexity and your knowledge in this area. Be prepared to study it carefully and introduce yourself as an expert in the matter. If you received a tangled topic from your teacher with no choice option, you might need some research paper writing service. If you continue to struggle, use this model.
- Do the research. There are several methods to analyze sources:
- leaf through identifying key points;
- focus on credible sources;
- dig deeper, examining the correctness of the fact.
Reading different articles, estimating points of view is a skill that requires some practice. Select the information for your paper carefully.
- Manage research. Carefully organize the work with the sources according to the type of your mission to save time and not miss a thing. When writing a bibliography, which requires many citations, mark the text you want to include in your article, remembering to cite the source according to academic requirements. When writing an essay, write down key points that you have learned or find useful for your article.
- Generate a thesis statement. This is the central idea that you will explain and prove in your article. It must strictly match the mission, no matter if you support that thought to contradict it. Make it clear, avoiding general hazy sentences about anything. Moreover, this must be debatable. Otherwise, your paper loses all meaning. There is nothing to prove in the statement: âThe traffic lights are three colors. But “The practicability of audible traffic lights” is already a questionable theme. If this is your first assignment and you are unsure of the correctness of the thesis statement, consult your supervisor at this stage and correct it in time. If you made a mistake, your subsequent work will have been a complete mess.
- Write a draft. The ways in which a draft is written may vary. If you have a set of instructions from your teacher, follow them. Otherwise, determine the chapters, their number and write structurally. Look at the thesis from two or three different angles for a full analysis. Avoid making the paper too long, speaking as much as possible with precision. Three concrete paragraphs are better than five with weak arguments. Use critical thinking when writing to take into account opponents’ point of view and fully convince your teacher that your judgment is correct.
- Fill out the papers. Focus on writing and express knowledge as you understand it, without fear of using the inappropriate word. During the editing phase, you can correct it. Keep your text flowing, gradually observing an argument in a chapter. Each claim must relate strictly to the thesis statement. Use facts and evidence from credible sources to prove it. Without well-founded support, your words will seem unconvincing. Avoid rewriting the material in your own words, just copying someone’s ideas for testing, which is plagiarism. The content of your research paper should be an analysis of the observed facts. Using a quote from an authoritative person or providing a concept as an example, format it correctly according to academic requirements. Common knowledge does not presuppose any quotation.
- Editing. Take a break as soon as you finish the content and return to the timeline a few hours later. A new overview of the written essay will help to make the corrections objectively. When editing, pay attention to the general structure and organization. The word amount must match the requirements. Measure the length of each chapter. These should be roughly equal. Make sure all the text makes sense, including the linked facts. Replace weak words with strong words to sound convincing.
- Make grammatical and punctuation corrections. Even great documents with impressive facts but written with errors cannot earn a high mark. Mistakes spoil the overall impression of an author and raise doubts about the general level of education. Therefore, never neglect this step. Pay special attention to the citation, appendices (if you have any). Format the paper according to the style required (APA, Chicago, MLA, etc.). Take breaks if necessary to complete the assembly with maximum concentration.
- Print your paper. A logical step, but some students do it five minutes before the deadline. In the event of some trouble, they fail all the efforts made before. Allow some free time for the correct order, and feel free to contact your research advisor before the deadline.
Gradually, any student can handle these steps and do them intuitively without a template.
To take with
Learning to write a research dissertation is essential for all students. The writing process is the same for all disciplines, only the types of paperwork and sources are distinguished. Therefore, managing a work process can seem difficult at first. But it will become natural with every attempt to write essays later. Experimenting with your writing skills is essential for success in your studies and professional activity in the future.